Colchester Farm was first established in 1751. Mr. Dave Barrow took the family farm over in 1946. He grew a variety of basic New England vegetables, sold some from his barn on Brook Street in Plympton and sold some through the local grocery stores. After he passed away, his wife and daughter wanted the land to remain productive, so in 1999 they enlisted the help of two local organic blueberry growers to renovate the sagging barn and bring the farm back to life. In 2004, the renamed Colchester Neighborhood Farm was certified as an organic farm by Baystate Organic Certifiers.
In 2012 New England Village, Inc. (NEV) assumed operation of Colchester Neighborhood Farm. Major renovations were made to the existing structures and today, participants of NEV’s Employment Supports program are employed as farm workers. Crews arrive daily to provide the labor necessary to run the 8-acre farm.
Visit the Colchester Neighborhood Farm website for further information.